The days are getting shorter and the temperatures are dropping. Are you looking for fun (and safe) activities to keep the family entertained? If so, the Science Center of Iowa has you covered!
SCI is taking safety seriously this holiday season and has adjusted its operations to provide opportunities for families to explore science together – safely! – both in person and virtually.
Here are 5 ways you can experience SCI this month:
- Visit any Thursday, Saturday or Sunday (plus additional days around the holidays). Meet SUE the T. rex, take a trip to outer space, explore Iowa’s native habitats, or see spectacular LEGO builds by visiting SCI. With timed ticketing, enhanced cleaning procedures, and required face coverings for visitors ages 2 and up, you can be sure that your family will be safe during your visit. SCI is even open extra days around winter break! Just remember to reserve advance tickets at www.sciowa.org
- Meet “Santa-saurus!” Snap a photo with a festively-dressed T.rex while you explore SCI’s decorated exhibits. On Saturday, December 12, “Santa-saurus” will make appearances throughout the morning and afternoon. This fun Santa experience replaces Breakfast with Santa for 2020 and no additional tickets are required. Learn more at www.sciowa.org/sue
- Tune in for a Storytime with SUE. Looking for something to do from the comfort of home? SCI is hosting virtual read-aloud events called “Storytime with SUE.” These experiences are designed for early learners and their parents or caregiver. Visit SCI’s Facebook page for details on upcoming programs.
- Find more to explore with SCI Winter Camps. The science center has adapted its Winter Camps to provide a safe (and still fun!) environment for students in Pre-K through 8th grade. Day camps are scheduled for December 23, 28, 29, and 30. Register at sciowa.org/wintercamps
- Shop in the A-ha! Store. Make your list and check it twice – then head to SCI’s A-ha! Store to find gifts and gadgets for everyone on your list. The A-ha! Store is open on all of SCI’s open days, and members get 25% off through January 10! And remember, gift store purchases support SCI’s mission – to engage and inspire Iowans along their journey of lifelong science learning.
Plan your visit
SCI is currently open on Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays as well as other select dates around the holidays. Make sure to reserve advance tickets in one of two timeslots: 9:00 am-12:00 pm or 1:00-4:00 pm.
All visitors will be asked to complete a basic health screening, have your temperature checked, and answer a few health-related questions – and as an organization rooted in science, SCI also is requiring face coverings for all visitors ages 2 and up.
Admission is $11 per person – free for SCI members!
Learn more at www.sciowa.org