Summer is a great time for your family to enjoy outdoor activities. Learn ways to keep your children safe and healthy while they enjoy the summer fun from New Horizon Academy. Their mission is to provide the best child care and early education programs on the planet, so they know all about keeping safe while having fun!
Post their Summer Safety Checklist on your refrigerator as a reminder of ways you can help keep your children safe, cool, and free from injuries to avoid interrupting your family’s summer fun.
- Your child should always wear lightweight clothing to stay cool when the temperatures soar.
- If it is going to be hot outside, enjoy the outdoors earlier in the day when the temps are cooler.
- Find a trail that is wooded, but make sure to pack the bug spray. These nature walks can be quite a family retreat because there is so much to see and find along the wooded paths.
- Use sunscreen with at least SPF (sun protection factor) 15-30 and UVA (ultraviolet A) and UVB (ultraviolet B) protection every time you and your child go outside. Reapply every 30 minutes.
- Stay hydrated by drinking ample amounts of water.
- Never leave infants, children, or pets in a parked car, even if the windows are cracked open.
- Your child should always wear a helmet when riding her bike.
- Be a proper role model and wear a helmet when you ride your bike.
- Always supervise children when in or around water.
- Wear a properly fitted life jacket every time you and your loved ones are on the water.
- Always empty water from buckets and wading pools. Ponds, five-gallon buckets, and wading pools are drowning hazards for very young children.
- Avoid scented soaps, perfumes, or hair sprays on your child.
- The current American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommendation for insect repellent for children older than 2 months of age is to use 10 percent to 30 percent DEET. DEET should not be used on children younger than 2 months of age.
- Cover up with long-sleeved shirts, pants, and socks to reduce mosquito bites.
Have fun this summer and remember these simple tips so you can have the best summer ever!
New Horizon Academy, a Minnesota family-owned and operated company has been serving young children for over 50 years. Check out their multiple locations around the metro to schedule a tour today!
Connect with New Horizon Academy
450 Southwest 9th Street, Des Moines, IA
8650 NW 62nd Avenue, Johnston, IA
215 Main Street, Pella, IA 50219
9040 University Avenue, West Des Moines, IA