We all have our goals of how we want to become more successful, perform better, slow down, eat better, or just focus on our priorities. It can be easy to pile many things on our plate, but we tend to get frustrated when we don’t accomplish all of those things on our list.
Top 10 Dietitian-Approved Items
Hy-Vee HealthMarket Dietitian, Ashley Danielson created a list of 10 items to add to your grocery list.
- Skratch: A sports scientist and professional cycling coach developed this company, focusing on hydration products that aren’t full of sugar. This “secret drink mix” contains less sugar, more sodium and no artificial sweeteners, flavors or colors, with a simple and clean taste created by using real fruit. Stay hydrated and keep your energy going with easy to-go packets that mix with water, with flavors like passion fruit, matcha green tea and lemon, and orange.
- Braised Bone Broth: Have you tried this delicious warm superfood drink? Perfect to help with gut health, bone broth is high in protein and collagen, not to mention anti-inflammatory nutrients. This specific company debuted their products at the Des Moines Farmers’ Market. Hy-Vee HealthMarket is one of the only grocery retail locations where you can purchase in the freezer section.
- Smart Chicken: Using Controlled Atmosphere Stunning (CAS) for production, chickens are handled in a different way that is more humane for both chickens and employees. Additionally, CAS produces a superior product that is a great option when making dinner for your family. Throw some organic boneless skinless breasts in the crockpot, or try out new organic breakfast maple chicken sausage on the weekend.
- Basin Spa Wax: Raise your hand if you get dry skin in the winter. Everyone? Ok, that’s what I thought! Basin has an amazing line of skincare, bath, hair, and facial products, but this spa wax is where it is at! It’s easy – you melt the wax, pour it onto your hands and massage into your skin. Enjoy the luxury of a spa treatment that you can take anywhere!
- FitVine: Don’t think I forgot about giving yourself some downtime with a glass of wine. Have you tried FitVine yet? This company uses the highest quality grapes from small farmers who focus on quality, not quantity. Created by a team of Crossfitters, cyclists, runners, and others who enjoy outdoor activities, FitVine has less sugar, fewer sulfites, and no flavor additives. My favorite? Pinot Noir and Prosecco!
- SunButter: We all want to enjoy meals and snacks without having to worry about bringing in something that a child may be allergic to. SunButter is U.S. grown and made, packs in 7 grams of protein, and is free from the top 8 allergens. Spread it on toast, dip carrots in, or add to a smoothie!
- BulletProof: We need all the caffeine we can get, am I right? BulletProof has come to your rescue. With the mission to help people perform better, think fast and live better, this team has created coffee beans, single cold brews, collagen protein bars, and supplements. A cup of BulletProof coffee may be all you need to tackle your day.
- Cardiotabs: It can be difficult to always get the optimal amount of nutrients in when your schedule is busy with interruptions. Created by a cardiologist husband and dietitian wife team, Cardiotabs was born to promote health and wellness for your family. A big one to focus on is the Omega-3 supplement, which helps support joint, heart, eye and brain health.
- Kombucha: This is a favorite at the Hy-Vee HealthMarket. Not only do we have a large cooler full of kombucha, we also have kombucha on tap from Agri-Cultured, a local company in Waukee, Iowa. Kombucha has many benefits, including gut health, immune system support, and anti-inflammatory properties. Fill up a cup when you stop in to shop, or a growler that you can refill whenever you feel like it.
- Orangetheory Fitness: If you’ve been inside our store, you know we are connected to Orangetheory Fitness. You’ve got a workout and grocery store combined all into a one-stop shop! OTF gives you a 60 minute workout that burns 500+ calories in the class, and keeps your metabolism movin’ and groovin’ so you continue to burn calories for the next 36 hours. Not ready to try out a class by yourself? Ask Ashley to join you as she tries to mix up her workout and walks next door once a week.
When: Saturday, January 12 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
What: Grab some other moms and come check out the items above and others in the store. Sample products from vendors (including FitVine Prosecco), and enter for a chance to win a fun gift basket. Because you need to celebrate YOU.
Connect with West Des Moines Hy-Vee HealthMarket
About the author & dietitian, Ashley Danielson, RDN, LD
Ashley Danielson is always eager to guide others into health and happiness. She completed a BA in Psychology and a minor in Entrepreneurial Studies from Iowa State University as well as a BS in Dietetics. Additionally, Ashley completed her Dietetic Internship with Iowa State University in Des Moines, Iowa. Ashley is a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), Dietitians in Integrative and Functional Medicine (DIFM), Sports, Cardiovascular, and Wellness Nutrition (SCAN), Iowa Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (IAND) and is certified as a Power Sculpt Yoga Teacher.
Ashley enjoys living a balanced lifestyle by staying active and learning new things every day. She looks forward to educating others in a fun and lively setting with simple ways to incorporate delicious food into everyday life. Believing in yourself and gaining confidence is a big step in your journey, and Ashley is here to help with that – whether it is general nutrition information, diabetes management, weight loss, or food intolerances. You can stop in the store, call or email Ashley with your nutrition questions and concerns or to set up an appointment.