Heading to an apple orchard once the weather starts to cool off is a wonderful family tradition. If you have not been apple picking in Des Moines before, start this year! Get the kids out in the fresh air and show them where apples grow and how delicious fresh ones are.
Whether you want to fill a bushel of apples you pick yourself or prefer to buy apples someone else picked, Des Moines and Central Iowa have plenty of apple orchards to choose from. It’s time to start picking!
Remember to check websites or social media for which apple varieties are ready to be picked!
Looking for pumpkins? Check out our pumpkin patch guide.
We work hard to ensure the accuracy of this information. However, you should always call ahead to confirm dates, times, location, and other information before heading to an event or activity, since it may change due to weather.
Apple Picking in and around Des Moines
Berry Patch Farm
Where: 62785 280th Street, Nevada
When: Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday mornings from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Gala, Ruby Jon, Mollies Delicious, Honeycrisp, Earligold, and Red Free apples to pick
- Aronia Berries and Raspberries are available to pick
- Pick your own and pre-picked
Center Grove Orchard
Where: 32835 610th Avenue, Cambridge
When: Daily 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Admission: $11.95 and up for ages 3+
- 20-acre orchard with 34 apple varieties
- Free hayride to the orchard
- U-pick apples and pumpkins or purchase in the Country Store
- All areas are open except the corn pool and apple slingshot
- Admission is $11.95 Monday-Thursday and $15.95 Friday-Sunday
Where: 1348 295th Street, Montour
When: Monday – Friday 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Apple Picking Days – September 17-18 and 24-25, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Pick your own apples
- Cider Day in October
Where: 1102 244th St, Jefferson
When: Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Admission: $11 children ages 2+, $9 adults
- Play area featuring a 4-acre corn maze, sunflowers, a corn box, petting zoo, giant slides, a jumping pillow, apple slingshots, and much more.
- Pick-Your-Own own apples and pumpkins
- Retail store and gift shop.
- Bakery items including apple cider donuts, caramel apples, apple pies, and fudge.
- Cider and hard cider made on-site.
Where: 13140 NW 102nd Avenue in Granger on the south side of Highway 141
When: Tuesday, Thursday – Sunday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesday 3 a.m. to 7 p.m, weather permitting until mid-October
Admission: $5 for ages 2+
- 14 varieties of apples including Honeycrisp, Gala, and Jonagold
- pick by the peck or bushel
Where: 12832 Royal Orchard Dr., Story City
When: Daily, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Varieties available: Honeycrisp, Fuji, Braeburn, Gala, Jonagold, Jonadel, Jonathan, Cortland, and Zestar, as well as others
- U-picked and pre-picked apples
Upstream Gardens & Orchard
Where: 5987 NE 88th Street, Altoona
When: Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Natural Growing Practices
- U-pick Apples and Pre-Picked Apples
- Honey from Hives on the Farm
Wills Family Orchard
Where: 33130 Panther Creek Road, Adel
When: Saturdays 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. | 2022 Apple & Pumpkin Fest Weekends – Saturdays 9 am – 6 pm; Sundays Noon – 6 pm., starting September 17th thru October 23.
Admission: $6 and up for ages 2+
- Organic apples in 12 varieties
- Apple cider donuts
- Pre-picked apples
- Pick-your-own apples
Where: 1638 Highway 169, Winterset
The 3-acre orchard features 38 different varietals of homegrown dessert, heirloom, and cider apples. There is no admission, but you MUST check in and review procedures with our front-end staff. Check the website for hours and varieties.
We went to Wills Family Orchard this weekend and it was wonderful!!!! So fun and picturesque.