I’m currently sitting at my desk during a blizzard warning with kids begging to go sledding. They are specifically requesting a really big hill. While I may not know the biggest sledding hill in the Des Moines area, here are some of the most popular hills in our community. The ones listed below were recently “crowdsourced” on Facebook.
There’s just something magical about getting bundled up and letting mother nature provide our entertainment!
When we pack up to go sledding, we include the obvious clothing including layers of pants and shirts, snow pants, coat, waterproof gloves, boots, hats, and scarfs.
Don’t forget parents need to bundle up too! We also have some frivolous items like hand warmers and an insulated coffee mug. If you are going to be spending a lot of time outside, I highly recommend these electric hand warmers too! (I use them for hockey games and outdoor sports events.) My husband has issues with having wet socks so we recommend have dry socks ready in the car as well.
Here’s a great link to sledding safety from the National Safety Council.
Golf courses make for some really fun–and fast–sledding hills!
- Waveland Golf Course: 4908 University Ave, Des Moines, IA 50311
- Grandview Golf Course: 2401 E 29th St, Des Moines, IA 50317
- AH Blank Golf Course: 808 County Line Rd, Des Moines, IA 50320
My son tells me they go “penguin sledding” on their bellies at recess at his school. That definitely doesn’t sound like fun to me! Here are some popular sledding hills found at local schools.
- Perkins Elementary: 4301 College Ave, Des Moines, IA 50311
- Beaver Creek Elementary: 8701 Lyndhurst Dr, Johnston, IA 50131
- Valley Southwoods (behind): 625 S 35th St, West Des Moines, IA 50265
This is a great way to discover some great parks and greenspaces in our area. Be sure to visit these when it’s warm again.
- State Capitol Building: 1007 E Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA 50319
- Fairmont Park: 2520 Hull Ave, Des Moines, IA 50317
- Ironwood Park (Pirate Ship Park): 2222 3rd Ave SW, Altoona, IA 50009
- Winter Park Sledding Hill: 5110 72Nd St, Urbandale, IA 50322
- Johnston Commons: 6700 Merle Hay Road, Johnston, IA 50131
- Clive Aquatic Center (behind): 1801 NW 114th St, Clive, IA 50325
- Jester Park (behind the nature center): 12130 NW 128th St, Granger, IA 50109
Paid Sledding Areas
- Seven Oaks (Boone) is open for various activities including snow tubing.
- Sleepy Hollow is closed for the season.
Where’s your favorite place to go sledding in Des Moines?
Looking for more things to do this winter in Des Moines? Check out these guides: