As much as I love summer, fall is probably my favorite season in Des Moines. It’s not blazing hot, yet it’s not snowing, the colors of the trees are beautiful, it’s acceptable to wear leggings, and there are so many fun fall activities!
10 Fall Activities
Here’s a list of family-friendly fall activities. I’m excited to check them all off! What are some of your favorite fall activities?
- Pumpkin Patches and Apple Orchards: The first activity is pretty obvious. I feel as though pumpkin patches and apple orchards are a given when it comes to fall activities but I have to include. My favorites are Center Grove Orchard and Howell’s. Check out their websites and pick a date to visit if you haven’t already!
- Hiking: Hiking in the fall is the greatest! You have the perfect crisp weather, the beautiful scenery and once again, leggings are acceptable. Ledges State Park has some of the prettiest scenery.
- Jumping in leaf piles: Be a kid again and jump in too!
- 4. Go to a college or high school football game: Take your kids to your alma mater. Wear your team gear and eat concession stand food!
- Summer Clothes Shopping: I know this sounds weird, but all the summer clothes are on huge discounts during the fall. It’s a perfect way to stock up on clothes for summer at clearance prices!
- Make caramel apples and/or popcorn balls: Here is a good recipe for the caramel apples and here is one for the popcorn balls.
- Farmer’s Market: Don’t forget that the Des Moines Farmer’s Market goes until October 27th.
- Fire-pit/s’mores: Talk about all the fall vibes! S’mores and fire-pits are a huge fall staple. If you don’t have your own pit, consider using a pit at an outdoor camp such as Jester Park. Another idea is to have everyone bring a different type of chocolate to try!
- Host a chili cook-off with friends: Each friend brings their own chili recipe and everyone votes on their favorite. Pinterest away!
- Make fall treats with your kids: How about leaf-shaped Rice Krispie treats? Or fall harvest popcorn?
Looking for more ideas? Check out our Ultimate Fall Bucket List!