BLT sandwiches are a seasonal summer staple in my household. We only eat them during the hot months of the year when tomatoes are at their peak.
Over the course of many years, I have sampled many a BLT and perfected what I think is the “perfect BLT sandwich.” It should come as no surprise that I have very specific ideas about the best way to make a BLT sandwich. As we roll into tomato/BLT season, here are my professional and expert-level tips on how to maximize your BLT sandwich experience:
The Best BLT Sandwich
- Bacon. Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon is superior to your ordinary bacon. Burgers’ Smokehouse bacon is hand-cured using the best ingredients. There is no water used in their curing process and there is a quality taste difference. Go ahead and do yourself a favor and use the good stuff. You can find this bacon online OR at Hy-Vee! Yay for grocery shopping in the morning and having a delicious lunch just a short while later.
- Tomatoes. Please don’t ruin a good BLT sandwich with mediocre tomatoes. Tomatoes should be fresh and firm with a robust red color. Of course, my preference is beefsteak tomatoes straight from the garden, ripened in the sun. I know that’s not always possible (or practical) but do your best to source the best possible tomatoes. Your BLT will be better because of it.
- Bread. Toasted sourdough is my bread preference, but honestly, standard white cottage bread is delicious too. But you must, I repeat MUST, toast your bread. You need the crisp crunch of toasted bread to offset tender tomatoes. Soggy bread in a BLT is abhorrent.
- Mayo. My household doesn’t believe in the nonsense of “salad dressing.” Miracle Whip is a must-have. And if you are asking my son, Olive Oil Miracle Whip is the only solution.
- Accompanying seasonings. Please salt and pepper your tomato. Then, if you are feeling fancy, add some avocado for extra creaminess.
Weirdly enough, I don’t have strong feelings about lettuce. In my mind, the stars of the sandwich are bacon and tomatoes. Lettuce is secondary. But I know many people firmly believe that iceberg lettuce is the only way to go!
I am an advocate of oven-baked bacon. This is my go-to post on how to make the best and easiest bacon!
Connect with Burgers’ Smokehouse
Online at www.smokehouse.com
Store location: 32819 Hwy 87, California, Missouri 65018
You can also find select Burgers’ Smokehouse products locally at Hy-Vee.